Sunday, 1 May 2011

Day 1 - Nightmare!

So today was day 1 of my live below the line! Horrific!

I didn't have breakfast because I was working. I'm not usually hungry until a couple of hours after I surface and usually I just take a cereal bar with me and eat it in the car on the move. However, cereal bars work out at about 30p each! Which I couldn't afford!

mmmm....oats
However things did begin well as I made up my flask of tea (instead of going to the wee shop for a cuppa which skins me the full £1!) and I took a bottle of tap water (FREE!)

When I got back I had 1/5 of my packet of oats (6p) with milk and 1/2 banana (6p).

Then by about 3.30pm I was really hungry so I had an apple (18p)


Then my family decided to have a BBQ - it was meant to be a bit of a thing for my brother because he turns 18 on Wednesday, but it ended up just the family. All I had had from the apple was water and 1 cup of tea. The smells.... the bread.... uch this is torture!!!










So I had a burger (45p) on a roll (6p) and that was it - no lettuce, no butter, no beer (just water). Today was definantly harder than I though and I realise now that breakfast is a must with a bigger, more sustainable lunch to keep me going because I very nearly binged I was so hungry!

The thing is there are days when I don't really eat that much - maybe 1 big binge at about 2pm and that's it. Today though all I could think about was food and how I couldn't have it. This made me think about the people I am doing this for - how much does food enter their thoughts during the day; I relaxed in the garden for most of the day - they have to go to work, usually hard labour like farming. My Mum and Dad supported me today - but they know that at the end of the day if I get too hungry there is food in the fridge and the cupboards.... what if your child was starving and you couldn't offer comfort or hope or something to eat...? That is certainly food for thought!

Me tucking into a burger at the BBQ!!

No comments:

Post a Comment